About Stephen Ministry
“Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.” (Galatians 6:2)
Stephen Ministry is a one-to-one lay caring ministry which takes place in churches like Christ Presbyterian Church. Stephen Ministry congregations equip and empower lay caregivers – called Stephen Ministers – to provide high-quality, confidential, Christ-centered care to people who are hurting.
If you find yourself in difficult circumstances and are considering the care of a Stephen Minister, please email Mary Sue Curtis (email@example.com) for a quick response.
Stephen Ministers have received up to 50 hours of extensive training in areas such as confidentiality, listening, depression, divorce, grief, etc. Some important guidelines for this caring relationship protect both the care receiver and the Stephen Minister:
- The relationship between a care receiver and a Stephen Minister is confidential.
- Men are matched with men, women with women.
- When a care receiver’s needs exceed what a Stephen Minister can provide, the Congregational Care Team makes a referral to an appropriate mental health professional or other community resource.
- The responsibility of the Stephen Minister is not to solve the care receiver’s problems, but to be a caring listener as they talk about their feelings concerning some of the things that are of vital importance to them.
- Placement of a particular Stephen Minister with his or her care receiver is always prayerfully determined by both the Referrals Coordinator and the Stephen Minister.
- Stephen Ministers meet together once a month for Peer Supervision, which provides both accountability and encouragement. Care receivers’ basic situations will be discussed, but names and intimate details will not.
The Stephen Ministry was founded in 1975 and has been a carrying ministry of Christ Presbyterian Church for over 25 years. It is active in over 12,000 congregations throughout the United States. More than one-and-a-half-million people nationwide have had a Stephen Minister walk with them, providing one-to-one Christian care during tough times.
Visit the Stephen Ministry website for video testimonials and more: www.stephenministries.org
Stephen Ministry Leadership Team:
- Warren Smith, Chairman – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mary Sue Curtis, Coordinator, Referrals – email@example.com
- Marilyn Lorenz, Peer Supervision – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pat Ummel, Training – email@example.com
- Jim Douglas, Continuing Education – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mark Hogan, Stephen Leader -- email@example.com
- Carol Boehner, Member at Large – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bill Mooney, Session Liaison – email@example.com